This policy is created to protect Garland and its employees against wrongful use of Garland’s Computer Network and/or Garland’s Email System by Garland employees.
Employees are cautioned that the Internet includes offensive, sexually explicit, and other questionable material. Even innocuous search requests may lead to sites with offensive content. Additionally, having an email address on the Internet may lead to receipt of unsolicited email containing offensive content. Employees accessing email and the Internet do so at their own risk and Garland is not responsible for material viewed or downloaded by employees. To minimize these risks, your use of email and Internet on Garland’s Computer Network (“Computer Network”) and/or on Garland’s Email System (“Email System”) is governed by the following policy:
Garland’s Computer Network
Responsible Use: The Computer Network is the property of Garland. The Computer Network is designed to assist employees in conducting business within and for Garland. All employees have a responsibility to use Garland’s computer resources and the Internet in a professional, lawful, and ethical manner. Abuse of the Computer Network, email, instant messaging, or the Internet, may result in disciplinary action including possible termination and/or criminal prosecution.
Personal Use: Occasional limited personal use of the computer is permitted if such use does not a) interfere with any employee’s job performance; b) damage the computer or Computer Network’s performance; or c) violate any other policies, provisions, guidelines or standards of Garland. Personal use of the computer is a privilege that may be revoked at any time.
Frivolous Use: Employees must not deliberately perform acts that waste or monopolize computer resources. These acts include, but are not limited to: sending mass mailings, spending excessive amounts of time on the Internet and/or instant messaging, playing games, engaging in online personal groups, uploading or downloading or disseminating large files, and accessing streaming audio and/or video files.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES is texting or making use of electronic mail functions permitted while operating a motor vehicle on behalf of Garland or in a Garland-owned or reimbursed vehicle. Additionally, you are required to use a hands-free device when using a cell phone (personal cell phone or company cell phone) while operating a motor vehicle on behalf of Garland or in a Garland-owned or reimbursed vehicle.
Prohibited computer/Internet activities/use
- Viewing pornography
- Storing or dissemination of unauthorized materials
- Creating or disseminating offensive messages or content (e.g., sexual images, racial/ethnic slurs, gender-specific comments, comments that offensively addresses someone’s age, sexual orientation, religious or political beliefs, national origin, or disability, etc.). NOTE: Sending any material that could reasonably be considered offensive to others may violate Garland’s Discrimination and Workplace Harassment Policy and is prohibited.
- Unauthorized content protection (e.g., employees shall not use a code to encrypt/protect a file, or retrieve any stored information, unless authorized to do so or in the ordinary course of performing job related activities. All computer pass codes, passwords and certificates must be provided to Gar land, if requested.)
- Unauthorized access (e.g., “hacking” or any attempts to circumvent or disable the security measures implemented by Garland will be considered a violation of Garland’s policies) • Illegal copying (e.g., uploading/downloading copyrighted material, trade secrets, proprietary information or similar materials without prior authorization)
- Communication of confidential information (e.g., transmission/dissemination of Garland and/or customer trade secrets and other confidential material)
- Software installation
No expectation of privacy
Garland’s Right to Review: The Computer Network is the property of Garland. Employees should have no expectation of privacy in anything they create, delete, store, send or receive using the Computer Network or Garland’s computer equipment. Garland reserves the right to review, audit, monitor and access all materials created, stored, sent or received by employees through the Computer Network or any Internet connection, or stored on Garland’s computer equipment without the permission of employees. Employees expressly waive any right of privacy in anything they create, store, send or receive using Garland’s computer equipment, the Computer Network, the Email System, instant messaging or Internet access.
Confidentiality: The confidentiality of any email message should not be assumed. Even when a message is erased, it is still possible to retrieve and read that message. Further, the use of passwords for security does not guarantee confidentiality. Email messages should be treated as confidential by other employees and accessed only by the intended recipient. Without specific advance authorization, employees are not authorized to retrieve or read any email messages that are not sent to them.
If there are questions concerning this policy and/or should you become aware of a violation of this policy, you should notify/contact Legal.